1. Implementation procedure
2. Implementation's characteristics
Citizen Archivist is one of the most recognized applications of “e-activity” concept. The service introduces a number of functions designed to encourage users to work together on digitization of archival materials. Thanks to the commitment from the Internet users, it is to accelerate works on the creation of documentation, but also save funds, that would have to be spent on staff employed to archive documents using traditional methods.
Volunteer engaged in cooperation as part of the Citizen Archivist project perform strictly defined tasks, which include:
- Tagging photos: The task of the project participants is to tag archival photos with keywords that enable to browse photo database. A signed-in user starts their activity as part of so-called mission. They first select a photo gallery. In the gallery window, they can browse photographs, and then, in a proper field, add keywords matching the photos. Tags, that have already been added, are visible to the left of the photo.
- Transcribing archival texts: Users transcribe old, handwritten texts to signs recognized by a computer. There are three levels of advancement for cooperators, depending on the difficulty of a scanned text. Novice volunteers get the simplest texts, and as they acquire more experience, they are given more difficult materials. The transcription is conducted in a special window, where a user can view a photo of a scanned document and a field for editing text, where he or she submits result of their work.
- Editing articles from a local Wikipedia – taking part in creating a knowledge and information base.
- Adding and sharing archival photos: As part of their activity, users participate in creating an archive, completing the public resources with their own old photographs, documents, manuscripts etc. In order to publish all the gathered resources, the service takes advantage of Flickr an external portal.
Homepage with offered forms of cooperation http://www.archives.gov/citizen-archivist/
Possibility to edit a dedicated Wiki http://www.archives.gov/citizen-archivist/edit/
Function enabling to add new photos to the archive
Old Weather (project described in a separate document)
Information on contests organized by the archive, including those on external portals
One of the photos gallery to be tagged
To the bottom left there is a field to adding new tags
3. Detailed description categories
|Type of the service's/application user:||
|The application service's usage area:||
|A communication - an indication of all the media and dissemination||
|Forms of interaction with users:||
|Service's/Application's integration to social networking sites||
|Is the connection encrypted?||
4. Service's/Application's integration with social networking sites
|Google Plus||number of followers: 1206|
|number of followers: 157000, number of tweets: 12700|
|YouTube||number of subscribers: 16918, number of films: 168|